* CWS was honored by the Government of Vietnam during its annual conference on the implementation of the National Program for promotion of foreign NGO assistance. Specifically, CWS was recognized by governmental leaders for our contributions to poverty reduction and sustainable development in Vietnam.
* In a unique initiative among CWS programs in Asia, more than 1,500 students in ethnic minority community schools enjoyed improved access to supplementary learning opportunities through child-friendly school library enrichment activities, including reading festivals.
* Another success in the ELCA-funded Vietnam NEW IDEA program is awareness-raising about child rights, including the right to protection and information about human trafficking prevention, which benefits thousands of parents and teachers as well as students.
* Water, Sanitation and Hygiene work continues as a priority in Vietnam; in mid-2017 the program expanded to include biosand water filtration. So far, 200 biosand water filters were promoted and installed for improved water at home and at school.
* CWS and partners’ efforts in community awareness raising have resulted in more than 1,000 new sanitary latrines made and used bringing more villages to be certified as open defecation free.